7 Mind-Blowing Direct Mail Stats
Even with the increased need to integrate marketing campaigns and incorporate digital strategies, the foundation of your fundraising plan should be direct mail. This tried and true strategy should not be forgotten, in fact, it should be continuously monitored, tested, and improved to achieve even bigger and better results for your bottom line.
- On average, direct mail appeals garner up to 37 times more responses than email
- 80-90% of direct mail gets opened - compared to 20-30% of email (on a good day!)
- 98% of people open their mail the day it is received
- 40% of people have responded to a direct mail piece in the last three months
- 92% of millennials are influenced to make a decision because of direct mail
- 48% of people hold on to important mail for future use and decision making
Testing Leads to Better Results
At the end of 2015, one of our hunger relief partners sent an appeal to major and mid-level donors to test the effectiveness of using a post-it note inside the card. The test appeal with a post-it note revealed some surprising results! The test package saw an increase of 13.9% for the total number of gifts; an increase of 13.0% in response rate; a 28.3% lift in average gift; and a tremendous 51.0% increase in net revenue!
“There are no secrets to success. It is the result of preparation, hard work, and learning from failure." – Colin Powell