On the Road Again...
The Humane crew from Alpha Dog Marketing is on the road again this week for a bow-wow-rific conference. This time, they are in Orlando, Florida for the HSUS Animal Care Expo, an annual gathering of leaders in the animal welfare industry. It got me thinking, how do we get the most out of our time together when we head out to a conference where it’s go-go-go all the time. Here are some tips to consider before your next event:
1. Be organized. No one enjoys the feeling of going in circles, chasing their own tail (except me, maybe!) when they are at a conference. Review the schedule before you go so you can plan to get to the most valuable sessions and networking events. Check out the exhibitors list and make your own list of who is a “must see” and “should see” to make the most out of your time on the floor. If you can, make appointments with your “must sees” so you can stick to your schedule.
2. Be curious. Or, as this dog would put it...sniff around. Find out as much as you can about the subjects that interest you. Beyond just going to topic-specific sessions, seek out the presenters to learn more. More than just picking up a brochure at a booth, ask questions and follow up again if you want to know more.
3. Be active. Walk, Run, Jump, Play Frisbee...You can’t get much done if you’re in one place all the time, or if you join late or skip out early. Most conferences are planned from sun-up to sun-down to try to get the most out of the time you have. You may be tired in the end, but you may not have another opportunity like this to network and learn.
4. Be engaged. Attentive. Dogs are, can you be too? It’s hard to leave the office behind, but try your best to separate yourself from the day-to-day stuff so you can take advantage of your time at conference. We all hear how great multi-tasking is in our jobs, but this is a chance to have a one-track mind. Set yourself on a mission to leave with something: a great innovative idea (or a bunch of them), a new way of doing something, or a solution to a problem you are having.
5. Be yourself. You're your own dog. Be what you are. Whether you’re meeting new people or
catching up with old friends, a conference is great for networking. Sharing information about
your organization and yourself with other at the conference will most likely get you
something in return.
something in return.
We're having a great conference in Orlando. And we have a full calendar for the rest of 2011. Check out our other Upcoming Events for the rest of our schedule. Maybe we will be on the same walking path in one of these places...if so, come on over and bark and play. We'd love it!
if you're new to the blog followin realm...don't be shy, just click on "follow" over there to the right and come along for the ride!